Mark’s latest tome: After America: Get Ready for Armageddon [Amazon link]
It is now left to the international bond markets to bring discipline to American governance. In due course, they will.
There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.
Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.— John Adams (via reparations)
- Me: Am I free to assemble a protest of peaceful peers?
- Government: Only with a permit.
- Me: Am I free to travel?
- Government: Only with a passport.
- Me: Am I free to pursue my own ideas of happiness?
- Government: Only within these constraints.
- Me: Am I free to start a business?
- Government: Only with a license.
- Me: Am I free to marry who I wish?
- Government: Only with my consent.
- Me: Am I free?
- Government: I'm legally obligated to say that you are.
- Government: Stop asking so many questions.